Most Promising ERC-20 Utility Tokens for 2019

Introduction

In this post, we will go over a selection of top ERC-20 utility tokens that have great goals and mission.

We will look at a few non-financial key metrics: team, community, use, seniority

Utility tokens value fundamentals are hard to define. Their value heavily relies on the usefulness of their application, network effects and liquidity. As such, it is extremely hard to predict their future value.

I believe most utility tokens value tends towards zero

Disclaimer: This content is for informational purposes only, you should not view this content as legal investment advice

1. StorJ

Category: Storage
Started: April 03, 2014
Competitors: FileCoin, SiaCoin
Product Availability: Public Waiting List and Testnet, Private Mainnet

StorJ, pronounced Storage, is a ERC-20 utility token used to store data in a decentralized cloud. Basically it’s a marketplace for disk space.
Users rent their free disk space and earn STORJ or pay STORJ to rent other users’ disk space.

The project was started by Shawn Wilkinson (@super3) over 4 years ago. Inspired by an idea of Gregory Maxwell.
It is one of the oldest crypto project out there. It has largely been flying under the radar, making less noise than other competitors.

From the outside the team appears to grow steadily.

Storj’s community is quite silent (although more than 17 000 users are registered on their chat). There appears to be a place for growth. I believe that StorJ has a great potential because it is tackling such a big market and has been very resilient for the past years.

StorJ Version 3 Network Demo

2. Aragon (ANT)

Category: Governance
Started: February 2017
Product Availability: Public Beta

Aragon is a project that aims to disintermediate the creation and maintenance of organizational structures by using blockchain technology.

If you believe that Blockchain will change the way governance is applied in companies, this project is for you. I believe we are years from finding the new best practices in that regard but Aragon’s iterative approach seems right to me.
They have strong links with the Decentraland team and could benefit from their success.

3. Decentraland (MANA)

Category: Virtual Reality
Started: August 2017
Product Availability: Land Marketplace, Alpha Demo

Decentraland is a virtual reality world in which property is based on the blockchain. Think of it as Second Life 2.0. This is the perfect combination of new edge technologies: Blockchain, VR and eventually AI.

Decentraland had a tremendously successful ICO, followed by a virtual land auction sale. MANA is one of the only token out there that had direct use from scratch: buy virtual land.

Decrentraland’s world now has to be built by the community. The world has been divided into districts and private lands. Districts are groups based on common interests: their size depends on the amount of LAND that users commited to them.

Manuel Araoz (@maraoz), founder of the successful Ethereum Contract Audit Company Open Zeppelin, is behind the project along with Esteban Ordano (@eordano). They have an impressive track records of projects.

I expect Decentraland to grow significantly in the coming years. Decentraland’s community is already super big and active. Check the video below for a preview of what’s coming in the virtual age:

Create a scene in Decentraland with A.I. for Dogs, Cats, and Mice

4. Golem (GNT)

Category: Supercomputer
Started: Oct 19, 2016
Product Availability: Beta (Mainnet)

Golem is a global decentralized supercomputer that anyone can access and contribute to. Golem is used for CGI rendering, machine learning and other heavy computing tasks.

The Golem network is a marketplace for computational power.

The project was founded by Julian Zawistowski (@julianzawist). In the demo below, you will see how the Golem network prioritizes tasks:

Golem Unlimited Demo

Conclusion

All of these projects are changing our perception of reality at different scales.
Some have real-world applications, others only exist in the virtual realm. They all aspire to be more open and more transparent systems than the ones we know today.

About the Author

John is the founder of OVALE.io
A unified interface to trade multiple crypto exchanges accounts